GRAFCET Studio is a software tool which can be used to create/design a GRAFCET flow chart according to the DIN EN 60848 standard. This may then be simulated on a PC.
In addition, the GRAFCET which has been created may then be transferred to a device (i.e. a PLC) at the touch of a button. The GRAFCET flow chart therefore becomes a cross-platform GRAFCET programming language through GRAFCET Studio!
But...what is actually GRAFCET?
GRAFCET is a European standard (DIN EN 60848) that allows you to describe a control function or a machine, usually used for the programming of PLC-s. GRAFCET is an abbreviation for a French phrase: "GRAphe Fonctionnel de Commande Etapes/Transitions". The English meaning is: Representation of the control function with steps and step enabling conditions. GRAFCET can be used to program processes that can be split into steps.
GRAFCET Studio main features:
- GRAFCET programming tool for S7-300/400/1200/1500 PLC families, without TIA Portal
- Compatible with all CODESYS V3 based devices (WAGO, Schneider Electric, Eaton, etc.)
- Simple programming of Python-based IoT devices without having to write any C/C++ code
- GRAFCET Editor: Draw up a GRAFCET chart in accordance with DIN EN 60848
- GRAFCET Simulator: Simulate a GRAFCET chart (with or without a virtual machine/plant)
- Device Connector: Transfer your GRAFCET to a real S7 PLC or Arduino device
- Compatible with the SPS-VISU tool for functional simulation
- Built-in PLC-Lab tool: collection of ready-made virtual devices for training
- End user / technician can modify the control program without having TIA Portal or Simatic Manager
- Vector oriented graphical display: best graphics performance, no zoom-in losses even on 4K displays
NEW! From version 188.8.131.52 upwards:
The new GRAFCET-Engine has been migrated to Python V3, that means it supports all hardware devices which are able to run Python! From now on GRAFCET-Studio communicates with the GRAFCET-Engine via MQTT protocol, thus the controllers can be programmed either locally or via the Internet.
A complete list of the devices now supported by GRAFCET-Studio:
- Siemens S7-300 and S7-400 PLCs
- Siemens S7-1200 and S7-1500 PLCs
- All CODESYS V3 based controllers
- Arduino Due
- Raspberry Pi
- Revolution Pi (industrial controller from KUNBUS)
- Siemens IOT2000 (IOT2020 and IOT2040)
- ... any other device that can utilize the Python programming language.
The mentioned IoT devices are supported by the Pro IoT-Edition and the Pro-Edition of GRAFCET-Studio.
GRAFCET Studio Gallery
Programming an S7-1500 with GRAFCET Studio
How to download a GRAFCET chart to an S7-1200
GRAFCET Studio is available in multiple editions:
|Edition||GRAFCET Simulation||SPS VISU & PLC Lab||Max. Steps***||Connect to real device|
|GRAFCET Studio Starter Edition||Yes||Yes||20||No|
|GRAFCET Studio Standard Edition||Yes||Yes||50||No|
|GRAFCET Studio Pro Edition (20)||Yes||Yes||20||Yes|
|GRAFCET Studio Pro Edition (50)||Yes||Yes||50||Yes|
|GRAFCET Studio Pro Edition (100)||Yes||Yes||100||Yes|
|GRAFCET Studio Pro Edition (255)||Yes||Yes||255||Yes|
|GRAFCET Studio Pro IoT Edition||Yes||Yes||100||Yes|
*** Max. Steps: max. available number of GRAFCET steps (for drawing, simulation and transfer to device).
Who do we recommend the different editions to?
- Starter Edition: ideal for learning about GRAFCET programming. Max. 20 steps available, cannot connect to a real device. Not suitable for industrial applications.
- Standard Edition: for learning and practicing more complex GRAFCET charts. Max. 50 steps available, cannot connect to a real PLC. Not suitable for industrial applications.
- Pro Edition (20/50/100/255): for real industrial applications, all functionality included. The GRAFCET chart can be downloaded to a real device. The Pro Edition is available in 4 variants with different number of steps (20/50/100/255). Recommended to control engineers and all automation experts working with PLC-s.
- Pro IoT Edition: special version dedicated to IoT programming applications, at a reduced price. Cannot be used with PLC-s. All functionality included, the GRAFCET chart can be downloaded to a real IoT device. Ideal for any IoT designers or hobby makers, who want quick and simple programming without any coding.
Tip: Special license offers are available for universities and other educational institutes.
- Before you can download a GRAFCET chart to a real device, the GRAFCET Engine need to be installed on the device first. For the S7-300/400 PLC families the GRAFCET Engine can be installed directly by using GRAFCET Studio. But in case of the S7-1200/1500 families you need the TIA Portal to install the GRAFCET Engine (see the video "How to download a GRAFCET chart to an S7-1200").
- GRAFCET is a powerful tool for programming S7 PLC-s for plenty of applications, in all cases when the control logic can be split into discrete steps. However it cannot completely replace the TIA Portal, as some complex mathematical or communication functions cannot be programmed by using GRAFCET charts only.
For more information about GRAFCET Studio feel free to visit MHJ Wiki, our online documentation portal!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: Which devices are supported by GRAFCET Studio? A: Siemens S7-300/400/1200/1500 PLC-s from the Simatic product family and all CODESYS V3 based controllers are fully supported, as well as any IoT devices able to utilize the Python programming language: Arduino Due, Raspberry Pi, Revolution Pi, Siemens IOT2000, etc.
Q: How can I receive my GRAFCET Studio? A: First simply download the free demo version from this page. Then after we receive your order, we send you a serial number in email. With that serial number you can easily upgrade your demo version to full version.
Q: Which languages can be selected in GRAFCET Studio? A: The following languages are available: English, German, Chinese, Spanish, French.
Q: What are the computer system requirements of GRAFCET Studio? A: Windows 7/8/8.1/10, single core CPU with 1GHz, 2GB RAM.